Whether this Valentine’s Day finds you single or attached, there’s no reason that you can’t be your own sweetheart on February 14. You work so hard to please others all year long—use this holiday as an opportunity to reward yourself!
1. Take yourself on the perfect date. Have you ever felt deprived because your significant other wouldn’t take you to an art gallery, the natural history museum or the ballet? Stop waiting for someone else to suggest the perfect date and arrange it for yourself instead. Choose an activity that feeds your heart, mind or spirit, and enjoy it to the fullest.
2. Indulge in an aromatherapy bath. Essential oils can refresh and renew the body and mind. Sprinkle your favorite oil in hot water (lavender, ylang ylang, chamomile and wild orange are great choices) and surround the tub with a ring of gleaming aromatherapy candles. Make yourself a soothing beverage and soak your stress away in a cloud of fragrant, detoxifying steam.
3. Consult a cosmetic surgeon. Maybe you’ve thought about having a mini-facelift, a little liposuction or a tummy tuck, but you’re not quite ready to commit. Set aside a day to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to explore your options and talk about your dreams.
4. Throw a private wine-tasting. What better way to relax than to spend an evening sampling the grape with your friends? Invite each guest to bring one or two bottles of her favorite wine for everyone to try. Follow up the festivities with espresso and a tray of decadent desserts.
5. Coddle your feet. Our feet work so hard for us — yet when it comes to pampering, they’re often overlooked. Book a pedicure, then follow it up with a foot massage or a session with a professional reflexologist. You’d be amazed at how wonderful you feel all over when you’ve rewarded those hard-working feet!
6. Spoil yourself with a do-it-yourself scrub. A homemade exfoliating scrub will leave your skin glowing from head to toe. With a quick online search, you can find recipes for scrubs made from sugar, sea salt, even coffee. Ingredients like olive or coconut oil infuse your skin with moisture as you scrub away dead skin and toxins.
7. Host a slumber party. A night of chick flicks, junk food and footie pajamas with the girls could be just what you need to escape the demands of the corporate world. Pamper yourselves with manicures and facials as you share popcorn, secrets and gossip.
8. Curl up with a book. Sometimes the best way to pamper yourself is to lock the door and spend the day in delicious solitude with a great book. Whether you prefer murder mysteries, romance, poetry or memoirs, you can easily lose yourself in a few hours of reading.
9. Escape to a retreat. From wellness weekends and women’s adventure treks to goddess workshops and meditation courses, a retreat gives you the opportunity to fully engage yourself in one of your passions.
10. Plan a lost weekend. Life often seems so structured, doesn’t it? Just for the weekend, pack up your car, shut down your laptop and head off without a destination. Let your spirit of adventure be your guide as you spoil yourself with a few days of pure fun.